[TR] TR4a manifold swap

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 25 15:15:49 MDT 2009

> The cost of importing the piece that connects the downpipe to the rest of
> the exhaust is very high considering I live in New Zealand.

Doesn't NZ have "muffler shops"?  Faced with a similar problem on a friend's
car, we just took it to the local muffler shop, who welded the required
piece together from stock tubing.

I don't recall what that cost, but a complete dual system including
crossover for the Stag (but using my existing head pipes since they were in
good condition) was less than 300 USD.

Same shop just put a custom dual muffler system on my TR3 for about $200.
Took less than an hour from when I showed up to when I drove away, which is
less than it would have taken me just to remove the rusty old bits.

I probably won't have anyone insisting that it's a V8 like I did with the
single muffler system he built for the previous TR3A, but I'm quite happy
with the new milder sound.

-- Randall