[TR] Reality check

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Aug 21 10:29:01 MDT 2009

On 21 Aug 2009 at 8:13, spook01 wrote:

> they were told they would have funds in 10 days, but...

It so happens that yesterday Tom Ashbrook's guest on On-Point was the
Secretary of Transportation, Ray LeHood, former Republican
Congressman from Illinois.  I caught the first half of the show in a
rebroadcast.  One thing they talked about was the clunkers program.
It is administered by his Transportation Department.  I got the
impression that it might have been his idea originally, but even if
it wasn't he was sure an ardent supporter.  Now, politicians and
adminstrators always have ready answers, some of which are even
credible.  When questioned about the delay he said it was due to
three things: delay in getting funds, the overwhelming response, and
the fact so that many many dealerships simply didn't do the paperwork
properly.  He said the first two problems were now resolved; Congress
had provided the money (presumably appropriated), and their workforce
and technology (presumably computers for bookkeeping) are now fully
in place to process everything expditiously.

I wish he had been more fact-focused and less cheerleader-ish.  The
biggest take-home message was enthusiasm, which is fine but more of a
fluffy dessert than a meal.  Perhaps he felt the need to engage in
active public relations management.

[To reply to this message, fill out these six forms in triplicate and
submit them with notarized affidavits in person to our home office in
Bangkok, Thailand.  Please stay on the line, your call is very
important to us, but not as important as it is to you...(beep)...]

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+