[TR] Small tire changer -

mgowen55 at hotmail.com mgowen55 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:27:22 MDT 2009

I had the same problem - nobody around here wanted to touch tube tires. I
used the HF tool to mount new tires on Dayton wires with good results. I
mounted the machine to a piece of scrap 4'x4'x3/4" plywood using stove
bolts - stand on the plywood while wrestling with the tire/wheel. I disabled
the dingus that is supposed to keep the wheel from turning because I didn't
want to risk screwing up a spoke. Judicious use of tire spoons (or big
screwdrivers) will work without requiring a lot of torque on the wheel (you
basically use the machine to hold the wheel at a comfortable working height
which in itself is a huge benefit). Getting the old tires off was a little
bit of a struggle - the new ones went on painlessly. Use some soapy water as
a lube. Mount the outside of the wheel down on the changer and work from the
back side of the wheel to minimize risk of damaging the front of the wheel.
Work slowly and carefully and you shouldn't have a problem.
(I also used HF's $12 bubble balancer - worked like a charm).
Glenn