[TR] Small tire changer -

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Tue Aug 18 13:05:28 MDT 2009

Its getting harder and harder to find a shop that will change tires on
wire wheels, especially since I have to have tubes installed.  they are all
afraid of pinching the tube, or damaging the wire rim from the force of the
machine, or they just don't want to deal with anything smaller than 24
inches...so, I was considering using one of Harbor Freights small tire
changers. The tire in question is a 165/70 13 - Has anyone used one of
these manual tire changing tools and if so, how well did it work?  I am not
too concerned with balancing the tire in question because I will be using
it for the spare anyway.  I was also thinking that possibly a motorcycle
shop may be able to do the work since they regularly handle wire wheels
with tubes.  Anybody try that as well?  I would think that they might also
be able to balance it, although most of their wheels have a different hub,
probably without a hole in it, so I'm not sure how they balance motorcycle
wheels.

The changer can be seen at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Barry Schwartz