[TR] TR6 engine rebuild

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 17 16:24:47 MDT 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 10:40:31 am Wayne wrote:
> I'm on vacation this week and I am determined to get the engine together
> and in the car (73 TR6).
>
> Can someone tell me what goes in the tapped hole directly above the oil
> filter?
> It's a tapped hole about 3/4" dia..
> I'm not sure if it's a tapered thread or straight?
>
> What I removed from this hole was a smashed looking mess, I think it was
> aluminum. The machine shop cleaned
> it out when they cleaned the block.
>
> TRF shows a plug but no size  (Item AH11: Part # PU1404).

Wayne,

That plug is an oil galley plug and is lead.

I would order the TRF part and have your machine shop install it.

> I need the plug ASAP and was thinking of buying a plug at the local
> hardware store so I could install it this week.
>
> What is the break-in procedure for the engine to properly break-in the cam
> and piston rings?

Must be the same as any other engine. Make sure you use assembly lube on the
cam and lifters, bearings and I also put some on the front and rear seals on
my 6 project.

I used Brad Penn 30w break in oil on my recent TR3 rebuild. Just took it easy
for a few 100 miles (not over 3000).
> I intend to add straight 30 wt "non-detergent" oil with a bottle of Lucas
> engine break-in oil additive.
> This additive has TB Zinc-plus on the bottle and protects flat tappet
> camshaft and valve train during break-in period.

The Lucas stuff cannot hurt!

> The directions on the bottle say to drain the oil after 1000 miles and
> refill engine with normal oil.

I ran the 30w brad penn oil for about 750 miles. Now use 20/50 Brad Penn
racing oil. Lots of that zinc stuff.
> I intend to refill it with Castrol GTX 20-50 like I have always used in the
> past on my TR6.

I plan to do the same with my 72 6 project as I did with the 3.

The 3 and my 4 (which uses the same oil) run just great with great oil
pressure.

> Assembly lube?
Used the stuff Moss sells.
> Cam lobe lube?