[TR] Rear shock mounting - TR2/3

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Mon Aug 17 11:27:03 MDT 2009

--- "Angelo Graham" <agraham at execulink.com> wrote:

> Hello List:
> A question regarding the nut/bolt arrangement securing the rear
> shocks on the early cars. Has anyone substituted a different
> arrangement or type of fasteners for the shocks? The nylock nut is
> always a pain to get off and used a ground down socket to accomplish
> this. Someone had mentioned using cap-screws and nuts from the rear.
> Searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this. Any listers
>
> use a particular arrangement for this??

If the TR3 is like our TR4, there is no wrench clearance on the shock body for the bolts that hold it to the frame.

Put a socket-head cap screw ("bolt" seems more appropriate for something this large) through the shock body.  Use a nyloc nut on the frame side.  You can either use a dedicated "allen" socket or just cut a piece of allen wrench and stick is in a conventional socket wrench to tighten the bolt.

Phil "been there, done that, my wife wears the T-shirt" Ethier.