[TR] TR6 black areas, paint , etc Part 1a

Joe Burlein supertr6 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 09:08:23 MDT 2009

These are bits and pieces from emails I've saved for YEARS from the
list.  (Really need to update to a modern BBS system here)

Joe B
72 TR-6

The area behind the grill should be black and should extend to the curved
part of the side edges where the grill meets the body but not beyond that
point.  The body color should not be seen when looking straight into the grill.
This section was painted with a brush so dont worry about some perfect paint
job as you really dont notice it thru the grill.

Gordon Swart
76 TR6
67 Austin Healey 3000
87 Mustang GT

Chip
Your head colour should be the same as the block - IOW semi matt black or
'dirty something.' Exception is that the push rod tubes were plated -
either zinc or something like that.

John Mac

Vito:

the bonnet rails bolts and nuts are painted.  the bracket nuts
for radiator braces are unpainted likewise for the back of the bolts and nuts
that hold the rubber seal at top of radiator shrowd.  the door hinges and bolts are painted but there is a bolt under the driver and passenger side mirror, unpainted.  there are two bolts over top of the door jambs that are unpainted.         i am original owner of a 74 tr6 and am positive this is correct.  i do not currently have any photos of what you request, but if you are not in a hurry for them i can take some and send to you within next couple of weeks unless someone else already has some!

Paul
Wilson 74 tr6

Vito Pacione wrote:

I'm getting my body repainted (finally). I had some question on some
of the
body panel painting. My car had had some previous repair so I can't
tell for
sure how factory paint was done.

Vito - as a general rule of thumb, if the component is an integral
part of the body structure and integrity, it was painted in one pass.
This includes doors, bonnets, boot lids, hinges, related fasteners
holding one body element to the other. etc.
Doors were not painted separately and fitted later. Today is it
customary to remove fully painted doors and associated hardware during
assembly to facilitate access. It wasn't then. Related hardware such
as window mechanisms, door locks and other components would have been
plated (galvanised, phosphated, chromed etc) and fitted in the build
process. Consequently the related hardware would not have been
painted. You don't say what your car is - but if its a TR, it would
have been painted at the Liverpool plant which, apart from generally
appalling build quality of the body structure as a whole, had its own
unique rules regarding painting. The 'rules' centred essentially on
attitude, general bloody-mindedness and what people felt like doing at
the time.

Jonmac