[TR] Measuring end float question

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Mon Aug 10 13:50:58 MDT 2009

Hello all:

I have decided to try measuring the crankshaft end float on my TR6. I
purchased a magnetic mount and a dial gauge. However, a question comes
to mind: I have the Gunst throw-out bearing setup (working nicely BTW).
It has a permanent pre-load given by a spring. Will this cause the crank
to shift the "zero" position that I obtain by pushing the crank pulley
rear-ward? Will I need an assistant to keep pressure on the pulley to
defeat the spring, or is friction too high for this to account for much?

Cheers,

Mark