[TR] Broke the GT6+

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 15:16:35 MDT 2009

In a message dated 8/9/2009 1:54:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
yellowtr at adelphia.net writes:

Anyway,  you should be able to source a temporary replacement at TRF and
should
have enough help around to get it installed for your ride home.

One  more reason I don't push my 3 and 4 and will also take it easy with
the 6
when it is done.

Bob

Hi Bob,
As usual @ Triumph events once I got to the side of the road I was swarmed
by other Triumph Rallyists willing to give up their time to help out.
Since I stopped on a hill several of them helped push the GT up the hill to a
parts store and out of harms way. A jack was offered, TRF had the part but
after some consideration I decided that the rotoflex axle would be a pain to
 remove to properly install the u-joint w/o that special Churchill tool
required to support the spring load even if I towed it back to TRF. Thanks  to
all who helped out!

My good friends, Eric Langreder and Jim Shear stopped by and offered  to
drive me back to the hotel to get my trailer for the rescue.  All was  well in
a few hours although Eric's son, Tim, and my wife Beverly had to stay  back
with the GT for a few hours.  They were entertained by some locals who
stopped by to inquire if they could help. One was a former MG SCCA racer who
was  curious why I was not doing the roadside repair?
Thanks Jim, Eric & Tim!

You know the GT has autoxed before w/o incident.  I run my TR's hard  at
Triumph events. I really believe that if they are right they can  take it.
Perhaps the trailer as a back up makes a difference but there are  times when I
leave that @ home.  I usually never trailer to the TRF SP but  time I was
hauling some tires to give to John Swauger.  Perhaps I was just  due.

Darrell