[TR] Broke the GT6+

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 9 12:24:06 MDT 2009

> Someone has said the u-joints with grease jerks are weakened by the hole
> drilled right in the center.  Is that a possibility?

Yes, but the 'good' joints have some reinforcement in that area.  There is
kind of a boss cast in around where the hole is.

Usually, the reason they break is because the bearings have gotten worn and
allowed the joint to become sloppy.  The shock loading of greatly multiplied
engine torque taking up that slack is what breaks them, IMO.  If you can
find the needles from the broken joint, I'll bet they are significantly
worn.

Randall