[TR] Thrust washers

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 9 09:16:44 MDT 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009 11:04:26 am Wayne wrote:
> I am about to put the engine back together on the TR6 and I am not sure if
> I should
> "pin" the thrust washers to the block.
> I have read that I could pin (brass pins) the thrust washer to the block.
> Buy the solid bronze washers (Scott Helms) and not pin them.
> Buy an extra set and machine the rear main cap to accept a washer, so I
> would have twice the bearing service.
> Or just assemble the washer the original way (no pins) and check end float
> every 10,000 miles.
>
> My concern about pinning, is that I would get the same wear, but I would
> not be able to replace the washers with the engine in the car.
>
> I kniow this was a popular issue in the past, but I was hoping there was a
> "time proven" winning method for this.
>

> Wayne
Wayne,

I installed the upgraded thrust washers from Wishbone Classics.

For some reason, the original thrust washers were still in spec as was the
rest of the engine.

As long as you check the end float as you suggested, I see no reason to add a
full washer by machining the caps.

If this engine is for a driver, not a racer, then I would go with the std
setup.

Bob