[TR] TR4/Webers - that banging noise- #2

David Lylis dlylis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 17:27:55 MDT 2009

JOhn,
I had a similar situation with my TR3A with a TR4 motor.  I gave her a fresh
drink of oil and started her up and a new knocking noise joined the
cacophony of TR motor noises.  Pulling a plug wire gave the same results as
you.  I was a little bent on rebuilding the motor anyway, so I started
tearing her down.  A visitor to my garage pronounced piston slap in cylinder
#3 but I quickly learned that his ego exceeded his knowledge.  After I
stepped up to 89mm I gave the cylinders to a friend who put them in his
car!  I never found the source of the noise to my satisfaction.  I no longer
care as the car runs fine with no knock and my friend is happy as a clam not
having to buy new cylinders.  BTW I just gave one of the pistons to another
friend
who was having issues with his race car and just wanted to finish the
season.
You may never know!
David