[TR] Daily Telegraph - TR4 Buyers guide

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 5 18:07:39 MDT 2009

> I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, however, I understood that the
> 2,3,4, motor was originally used in the Vanguard and then adapted for use
> in
> the Ferguson tractor.

Pretty close.  My understanding was that it was intended from the outset to
be a multi-purpose engine design; and was adapted for several applications
including the Vanguard (it's first usage), the TR2-4 (and variants like the
Italia and Morgan), and of course Ferguson tractors.

But there were substantial differences between the variations; the tractor
version in particular even had a different cylinder block casting.  Not
quite the "same" motor.  If memory serves, the Vanguard version only made 68
bhp; the Ferguson version even less than that.

-- Randall