[TR] TR3 tires 6" rims

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 12:27:10 MDT 2009

> Anyway, having tried it both ways myself, I definitely vote for
> sticky
> tires.  The width is probably less an actual factor [...] than the fact you cannot buy high performance tires in
> skinny profiles.

Bingo.  Sticky compounds are not to be found in skinny tires.  Somebody point me to an exception to this rule, please!

> But what the factory absolutely did not have, was anything even
> faintly
> resembling a modern high performance tire.

Bingo again.  The stock suspension on my Seven would have been perfectly capable of beating a Corvette in a 1970 autocross.  Now, even the non-sticky Dunlops it is wearing are too much for it.

(My Seven, although built in 1979, has chassis and suspension virtually identical to the 1966 Lotus Super Seven I saw running back in the day.  Some Caterham upgrades are on the agenda before I put on the real stickies.  The car will still look and sound like a sixties Lotus Seven.)

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L   1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban  1994 Miata C-package  2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier