[TR] TR3 tires 6" rims

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Mon Apr 20 21:19:31 MDT 2009

pethier at comcast.net wrote:
>> And, in a very funny article on braking by J.K.L. Setright, in Road &
>> Track, Setright recounts that Sir William Lyons, in the midst of
>> costing
>> out the first XK-E, opted for standard brake linings instead of
>> premium
>> grade, because it would save 25p per car....
>>

> Really?  The first XK-E?  And they were already using the new money?
>
> :-)

Whether it's two shillings and four farthings, four sixpence and two
ha'penny, or a half-crown with change back, it's still 25p.... :)

Anyway, I suspect that many British industries had, by then, gone to a
simpler system for cost accounting of complex items--particularly since
the advent of computers, which probably wouldn't take kindly to the
additional code to fully fathom the British monetary system....

Anyway, you'll have to direct the query to Setright--I'm only passing on
what he wrote, thirty-odd years ago. :)

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....