[TR] TR3 tires 6" rims

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 20 17:04:47 MDT 2009

> Looking through the archives it looks
> like Bill and Randall have had good luck with 185/65-15.

Just for clarity, I was actually running 205/55-15 on my TR3A, mounted on
5.5" TR6 wheels.  But they did rub lightly under some circumstances; so
based on my earlier experiences with 185/65, that's what I would recommend
to be reasonably certain of NO issues.  But IIRC, even the 185/65 are a bit
shorter than the stock tires, so have some effect on speedo calibration, and
ride height.

> Randall-I
> think I remember you saying that you were getting your car painted by a
> "low
> buck" outfit and was wondering what the outcome was?  IIRC it needed quite
> a bit of rust repair and the price seemed reasonable.

Sorry I don't have a photo to share.  It did come out reasonably well;
although I really should have taken it back a third time to complain.  They
neglected to do several things that I thought we had specifically discussed
(some of which were even written on the estimate) ... should you really have
to write "replace and tighten the bolts" onto the estimate?

The first time I went to pick the car up, I found that they had not filled
the antenna hole; nor painted the underside of the hood & trunk; nor
installed the stone guards.  All of these things were written on the
estimate.

The second time, they had not fitted the stone guards at all, just jammed
them into place (resulting in a 1/4" gap at one point); and I noticed that
most of the bolts in the rear fenders were missing.

Being anxious to get the car back (it had been some 3 weeks by this point),
I agreed that I would deal with the missing bolts, if they would fit the
stoneguards.  They did that, but I was so upset by all of this that I failed
to notice that they had not painted the underside of the scuttle vent door,
nor the scuttle under the door.  I know I mentioned that to the salesman,
but he didn't record it on the estimate. As yet, I've not returned to
complain about that.

And unlike the shop that did my TR3A, this shop did not put a skim coat over
the entire car.  That left many minor dents to show in the final paint, that
I had not noticed when it was in primer.

So in summary, I'm not exactly sorry I went that way ... but next time I'm
going to One Day Paint, not Earl Scheib.

Oh yeah, even though I mentioned it repeatedly, they failed to mask off the
opening into the fuel tank, with the result that the threads for the cap
were full of paint.  I spent the better part of an hour cleaning those
threads with a dental pick before I was able to install the cap.

Ended being about $1000 for the paint job, about $1800 for the body work
(including taxes & fees, etc)

And Yes, they got overspray on the tail pipe (an Earl Scheib trademark for
over 70 years) <G>
But it came right off with some brass wool.

Randall