[TR] [Shop-talk] Vehicle dollies

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 19 17:20:10 MDT 2009

> With the car on the dollies, it's very difficult to move the
> car by myself.

I have the steel version from HF.  When I got them, the first thing I did
was to remove the wheels to file away any casting flash and make sure the
clearances were right.  Several wheels had to be filed down to be narrower
than the sleeves they ride on, so they didn't rub against the side brackets.
One wheel had a burr inside the pivot hole that made it turn hard.  Another
wasn't finished properly on the outside so I filed off the high spots.

I also lubed the wheel and caster pivots.

As long as the floor is clean, the car moves quite easily.  I use them
mostly under the TR3, but I've had the Stag on them as well.  With the TR,
more than once I've just leaned on the car a bit and had it move.

Of course, a smooth, hard, level floor is a must.  Any kind of irregularity
means you are trying to lift a ton of car by that much, not an easy task.

Anyway, my point is that you might try servicing the dollies you have before
buying new ones.  Like so many things from HF, they are more like a "kit"
that you have to machine and assemble yourself.  It just happens to come
already bolted together for shipping <G>

Randall