[TR] Triumph 2000/Stag Subframe Bushings

Todd Bermudez red_tr250 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 18:36:22 MDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a 1968 Triumph 2000 Mk1.  I'm rebushing the entire car
as well as installing 1" lower Fast Road springs.

The driver side subframe section has some serious rust.  I sourced another as
well as a replacement trailing arm for that side...the old one was actually
bent???

After fighting with the bolt that goes down thru the body & getting the whole
mess apart, I'm sitting scratching my head trying to figure out how the new
subframe bushings install.  The old rubber bushings were kinda split in 2 One
on the bottom side of the frame section & one on the top side between the
frame & the body.  I bought the Rimmer bushing kit.  The subframe mount is a
lot different in that kit.  It's one big long metal "cup" with the urethane
inside as well as a spacer sleeve.  So I'm not sure how it installs vs the old
bushing.  I'm not sure if the "cup" slides down thru the hole in the frame
from the top side or if the entire bushing butts up against the bottom of the
frame section?   Also, on the old bush there was a large washer above it and
then a rubber bush between the washer & the body.  Do I leave that rubber bush
& washer in place or is it redundant?

I would assume the Stag bushings would be the same?

Also, for those of you that have done the front end ie: bushings, springs, &
ball joints.  Is there a trick on the ball joints and the springs?  I have the
"book" & I have set of harbor freight spring compressors.  I've never done a
strut arrangement.  I'm used to TRs.

TIA,

Todd Bermudez

Cincy, OH