[TR] mistaken brake lights?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 08:15:54 MDT 2009

> In wiring up my 3's brake lights, it looks as if the brake
> lights not only go to the rear of the vehicle, but they also
> power the front grill's marker lights.  Can this be right?

As Andy notes, something is wrong.  However since you have a later car that
uses the same rear fixture for brake lights and tail lights, it is possible
that there is a short within one of those fixtures allowing current to flow
from the brake light circuit into the marker light circuit.  Just having a
bulb installed wrong can do that; or the bulb contacts may be touching each
other.

Or the wiring under the hood may be wrong.  The marker light circuit should
be a red wire (which does run to both front and back).  The brake light
circuit should be a green wire with a purple stripe.

Unless of course your car is like my TR3, where all the colors have faded to
a uniform brown <G>

Randall