[TR] TR4 Clutch Adjustment?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 12 16:16:39 MDT 2009

> Should there be play in the clutch lever?  When I remove the
> slave rod, there seems to be 1/8" to 1/4" back and forth play
> in the clutch lever.

Yes.  Without the slave pushrod to hold the TOB up to the pressure plate
inside, the lever should be able to move towards the slave cylinder by a
fair amount.  I would have said it was more than 1/4", but haven't actually
measured it.  What it's doing is pulling the TOB & carrier away from the
pressure plate, until it hits the front cover of the gearbox.  Likely the
amount of play also depends on how worn the clutch is, since the PP fingers
will rise somewhat higher with a worn friction plate.

Randall