[TR] TR Toolbox

Jim Bauder jimbpps at cox.net
Sun Apr 12 12:57:40 MDT 2009

Before I sold my TR3 and I was still driving it to shows, very often some fairly
long distances, I built a false floor for the trunk. I used ~3/8 plywood for the
floor, a piece of 3/4 pine about 2 1/2 high and 24 inches long to support the
false floor just behind the gas tank cover and two appropriately placed and
sized blocks made from 2 X 4, for the rear supports. To determine where to place
the rear supports, I put the side curtains on the empty trunk floor then I
placed the front support against the gas tank cover, then the two rear supports
so that the side curtains were protected by any reasonable loads that I might
place on the false floor. I screwed the plywood to the three supports with dry
wall screws. The false floor supports rested directly on the trunk floor
covering. I was able then to place the floor on top of the side curtains and not
worry about damaging them. I had a fairly heavy steel Craftsman tool box that I
placed in a custom made cardboard box to protect the inside of the trunk from
the tool box if it was to move around. But on a long trip the trunk was full
anyway! So I didn't have worry about that too much in any case. However, I
almost always used a blanket to protect the inside of the trunk.

I drove the TR3 up and down the Pacific coast 2 or 3 times to Triumphest and the
All Triumph Drive-In in Vancouver, BC and the side curtains never suffered from
these long trips!

Jim
Jim Bauder
480-309-9525