[TR] Triumph TransAmerica Stag - A/C help needed

Ann and Tim Buja thebujas at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 23:33:54 MDT 2009

This note is being posted to both the Stag and Triumphs mailing lists.

ISOA is in need of help to update the Stag's air conditioning unit.  We
would like to replace the OE York compressor with a modern compressor that
will consume less power and create less vibration while in operation than
the York compressor.  If you have updated the air conditioning in your Stag
and can help, please specify which manufacturer and model of compressor you
used.  We plan on keeping the original v-belt and not going to a serpentine
belt.  In addition, please specify the pressure switches and receiver/drier
you used and if you needed to replace the expansion valve, condenser, or the
evaporator. Since we'll be using R134a, we'll have to replace the existing
A/C hoses with barrier hose.

We have our plates _really full_ right now and do not have the time to "go
to these websites and look around" (as some of our own members have
suggested) to find components that _might_ work.  We need specific part
numbers for components that have been proven to work well together.  We have
about nine weekends left before the shake-down cruising begins in late May.
If we don't get the A/C in place prior our departure for delivery in Florida
in late June, we're planning on pulling an all-nighter or two as necessary
when John Macartney arrives back to Chicagoland on August 1.

Current status - the exhaust system has been mounted and the under-car work
is essentially complete.  The radiator and all coolant hoses should go in
next weekend.  Wheels are refinished and are ready for the tires to be
mounted.  Final paint buffing is in progress, with the windshield frame
ready for the glass to go back in.  Instrument panel and gauges have been
refinished and are ready for installation.  Carpeting should be going in in
the next two weeks, and the front seat upholstery will be here in about
three weeks.

See our progress online at http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk/

Tim Buja - Illinois Sports Owners Association
The Triumph Car Club for Chicago and Northern Illinois
http://www.snic-braaapp.org