[TR] Garage Mirage Part 1

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 16:32:42 MDT 2009

The "mirage" part:B  I can't believe the driving season hasn't even started,
and all those piddling little things that have been bothering since restoring
the TR3A are resolved.B B That's what a garage does, eh?B

I know that few if any ofB  you will be reading through this list of
improvements.B  That's okay.B  The point is, really, that I had never really
minded having restored this car outside in the dirt on days it didn't rain,
lying on sometimes wet sand to get under the car.B  But now that I have a
garage, with a cement floor and glory! a roof!B  Look at the stuff you can do,
even when you haven't got heat yet!

1.B  My OD switch had to be wobbled to engage.B  Replaced with an used factory
item, thanks to TeriAnn and Randall.B  Cleaned, lubed, painted, installed.B
Snaps on and off like it's supposed to.B

2.B  Installed the new nylon silentbloc conversion.B  While in there, replaced
those rotted old ball joint boots with better ones from TRF.B  Thanks to the
list for letting me know TRF had better ones than the ones I acquired several
years ago.B  Also topped off the steering box with Valvoline full-synthetic
75-90, since it had managed to lose fluid over the past three years.B

3.B  Perplexed for a few years why leaves and sand were blowing onto my
trousers when I drove.B  Thanks to the list, I learned my car did not come
with wheel well seal plates.B Installed these and siliconed around the edges,
just to be sure.B  Lots of advice how to attach the seal plates, but frankly I
just drilled a few small holes and pop-riveted them in.B  If for some reason I
actually do have to remove them, it'll be easy enough to drill out the
rivets.B

4.B  The heater had stopped working.B  Pulled the heater, broke it down, and
rebuilt the motor again.B  This time, I put dielectric on the armature parts
and replaced the brushes and springs which had apparenty rusted out (I
didn'tB  replace them the first go-round).B  Works better than it ever did.B
Added benefit was completely exchanged coolant.