[TR] Curious occurrence

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 28 04:48:05 MDT 2008

Some time ago I obtained a TR4A ignition kit at a good price from a dealer
in the states. It consisted of a set of plugs and leads, points, condenser
and distributor cap. As far as I could tell the bits were real Lucas
although who knows these days!
A couple of days ago I fitted these bits in the course of a routine service.
The car simply would'nt start and the symptons were exactly as if the coil
current was going to earth via the points spring so I naturally thought I
had done the little plastic top hats wrong. But I had'nt. I put the old
points back and everything was fine.
So I concluded the points were faulty but could'nt find anything wrong with
them. The dimensions were the same and all the insulation held up where it
should. I refiitted them to the car taking great care and again the engine
would'nt start showing the same problem. Once again I put the old ones in
and all was well.
Has anyone any ideas about this curious occurrence?

David Brister,
1967 TR4A

--
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for home users.
SPAMfighter has removed 14086 spam emails to date.