[TR] The "other" IRS rear end clunk

Brian Induni 308gtsi at roadrunner.com
Sat Sep 27 19:13:29 MDT 2008

Hi list,
Just wanted to give a heads up on an issue I was just able to diagnose. That
is of a rear end 'clunk' in the IRS of my 4A. No, it wasn't broken diff
mounts - I welded those sucker good when the frame was stripped bare and
upside down. After trying solid disk wheels thinking it was bad splines, and
rebuilding the diff with new bearings, etc., I finally turned my attention
to the half shafts. They looked fine but had the slightest of play (they
soaked for days in the parts washer) so I tried a used axle I bought this
summer. I did nothing to this used axle, and it had absolutely no play in
the splines. It worked - no more 'clunk' on take off! Taking it apart I
found copious amounts of grease in the splines... I mean A LOT! So I
slathered the original axle in grease slid it together - this was tough due
to the inability for the air to be displaced - and bolted it in. Viola! No
more 'clunk'! Long story short, use LOTS of grease in the splines and you
will be happy you did.

Brian
67 TR4A