[TR] Rear brake cylinder installation kit question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 18:22:24 MDT 2008

> I am getting ready to install new rear brake cylinders in my
> TR4A and looking at the contents of the installation kit,
> there is a small pouch of grease. I assume this grease is to
> lube the fulcrum point of the safety brake arm but can I also
> use this to lube the adjuster? If I am totally wrong, where
> is it used?

Can't lay my hands on them at the moment, but ISTR the Girling instructions
say to put the contents of that pouch inside the boot on the piston.  Where
the cylinder rides on the back plate, the handbrake pivot, the adjuster and
where the shoes touch the backplate are to be lubricated with 'white'
lithium grease, not included.

The pouch is a special 'red' grease, that isn't very good grease (IMO) but
is compatible with brake fluid and won't attack and soften the seals as
regular grease can.

Since I use silicone brake fluid, I use silicone grease instead.  It doesn't
dry up and turn to sand like the red grease does over time.

Randall