[TR] Rear Shock Oil alternatives

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Sep 27 07:33:07 MDT 2008

Dave Connitt wrote:
> To all,
> I am at the point on my rebuild that I need to fill up the rear shocks with
> oil. Does anybody have any experience experimenting with different
> brands/types/viscosities of oil in the lever shocks on a TR4A? ...Also, how much do I put
> in each shock? Fill it to the top or what?

Dave, when I rebuilt my 3A, I tested the shocks, found them fine, and replaced the 45 year old fluid with Harley Davidson Hydraulic Fork Oil Type "B."  You can buy it from any harley shop in a pint bottle.  It took about half the bottle to do the job.  Cost was about $10 as I recall.

Terry Smith '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire