[TR] Rear Shock Oil alternatives

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Wed Sep 24 12:13:17 MDT 2008

To all,
I am at the point on my rebuild that I need to fill up the rear shocks with
oil. Does anybody have any experience experimenting with different
brands/types/viscosities of oil in the lever shocks on a TR4A? I know TRF
sells shock oil but I wonder what viscosity that is? If I went with a
slightly thicker oil I assume that would that tend to stiffen up the rear
shock action. However, there is the shaft seal on the shock that might not
like a different type of oil than the "shock oil". Also, how much do I put
in each shock? Fill it to the top or what?
Anybody been there, done that?

Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A