[TR] oil pressure 40-50?

don don at napanet.net
Tue Sep 23 23:36:03 MDT 2008

Oil pressure at idle or at higher RPM?  There's going to be a big
difference!  On MGAs and MGBs the idle oil pressure would be about 20 psi
and at driving speed about 60 psi.
Also, the type of oil filter and the weight of oil.  I don't have any
experience with TRs (other than a TR8), just MGs and Sprites and other BMC
cars.  I do know that there was a felt oil filter that would give me about
10 lb. more oil pressure than the cardboard filter on my MGA.  And Castrol
20-50 would not have as much reduction in oil pressure once the engine was
hot, where other brands would show significantly lower oil pressure.
Don Scott
1962 MGA
1973 MGB GT (for sale)
1991 Miata BRG