[TR] Carb woes

Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Tue Sep 23 13:02:36 MDT 2008

John,

Remover the lid to the float bowl and check if the float for leaks: remove
it and shake it to see if you can hear anything inside. I believe you may
be able repair a leak with solder, if you can find it, or replace it with
new. If I heard fuel inside a float I would submerge it in fuel and
squeeze to it find bubbles of air to locate the hole. Warm the float
gently (for example, by a light bulb, in a safe place for a while) to
evaporate fuel, then solder to seal.

Check the setting for the fuel valve actuator: turn the lid upside down,
and with an appropriate diameter dowel or drill bit, adjust the fork that
controls the valve to the diameter of the dowel, when the valve just
closes. See adjusting the fuel level in this link below (instructions from
SU tool kit). The level of the fuel is critical to the reliable operation
of the carburettor. Its a fiddly task that is easier to imagine than do, I
found.

http://www.mgaroadster.co.uk/SU%20Carburetor%20Tool.pdf

Check the valve operates as it should, replace as required.

I would go ahead and install your rubber seals at the banjo joint at the
bottom of the carbs. If you have the right parts assembled in the right
order, it should seal OK.

Brian