[TR] Could a steel shim head gasket be the answer to blowing head gaskets

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 23 03:47:29 MDT 2008

I don't think cylinder pressures of 175 lbs are the cause of your
problem. One can run higher pressures successfully.

In what condition are the two mating faces of the head and block? My
'63 TR4's head was scored from having been cut to increase
compression, years ago. My block's mating face was showing its age,
but not too bad when cleaned up. While I was having new valves cut at
a local machine shop recently, I asked them to clean up the face of
the head. It came back looking like a new piece of steel having had a
thou or two shaved off. This greatly improved the odds of success in
sealing the block to the head with a copper 'sandwich-type' gasket. (I
think I got my gasket from Moss.) I believe the 'sandwich' gasket is
more compressible than a solid copper gasket, and therefore more
forgiving.

I'd previously used Wellseal on the scored head.  With this fresh
face, I coated the gasket with the Permatex copper spray: http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42287/80697

I found it helpful to prepare the gasket ahead of time. I gave it
several coats. I was more certain of good, even coverage, compared to
spreading Wellseal around with a putty knife. Among several
advantages, the copper spray improves heat transfer from head to
block, which may in turn improve the chances of a durable seal.

Good luck,

Brian