[TR] collective wisdom ?

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 08:32:54 MDT 2008

> While points require tinkering, what makes these cars wonderful is the
> lack of electronics and computers... the mechanics are simple to
> diagnosis and repair. Given how much I drive, a simple ride is better
> than high performance, high-maintenance one.

I drive my 3 every day, about an hour and a half total commute.  I pretty much wanted to stick with points, but as I got to know the car, I came to feel the degradation that you get after you first install points and have driven for a period of time.  Switched to Pertronix, and get optimal performance without having to adjust the points on a weekend when I have so many other things to do.  Since then, the car has never run smoother at high speed.

Plus, I do enjoy the surprise on people's faces when this 50 year old car starts with a half-second punch of the button, due to electronic ignition coupled with an electric fuel pump.  'Course, reality returns when I leave my parking spot and they see the oil marks....  :-)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire