[TR] collective wisdom ?

Corey Sherman cm.sherman at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 07:54:46 MDT 2008

I just love how topical the list is... I too seem to have been having
ignition/running problems. While the Pertronix solution is an attractive
one - and to a large degree relatively reliable - it to does fail. I
have them installed in both my TR6 and TR3... and within two years
(seasons) I have run into problems.

In my TR6, after testing everything... yup, my problems traced back to
the Pertronix. Spent hours diagnosing and testing, only to discover the
unit was the problem. Switched back to points and never looked back.

Now similar problems with the TR3... repeat of the same non-sense, be
Pertronix website and tech support is less than helpful. So, if
experience serves any purpose, learn from one's know mistakes...
installing points again.

While points require tinkering, what makes these cars wonderful is the
lack of electronics and computers... the mechanics are simple to
diagnosis and repair. Given how much I drive, a simple ride is better
than high performance, high-maintenance one.

Cheers
Corey Sherman

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM, wbeech wrote:

> If originality is not a concern then the petronix will be more
> dependable...
Me, I'm with Geo in that I like to have something to fiddle with, I
guess
that why I have a Triumph in the first place!

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L
'59 TR-3A TS/64974 LO