[TR] Setting timing on a TR4 and Rocker pedistal hight

Thomas Boggiano boggiano at charter.net
Fri Sep 19 14:17:35 MDT 2008

Hi All

I am at the point in the engine reassembly of setting the timing on the new
cam shaft (so I dont have the origional markings to go by)
2 questions:

1)  The Haynes manual has a process by which you set the timing by having
the the 7 and 8 the push rods balanced so either way the cam turns the push
rod moves up. Has anyone else followed this procedure and had success? Can
anyone point me at alternate procedures?

2) I fitted dry fitted the head wiht the old head gasket along with the
rocker arms to make sure everything was fitting correctly. I have noticed
that the adjustment on the rocker pedistal will not provide enough clearance
to allow the push rods to fully extend. have others used a shim of sort
under the pedistal to provide the clearange and raise up the rocker arm? Is
this a part that someone out there is fabricating?

Thanks
Tom