[TR] FYI on oil pump problem

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 20:14:15 MDT 2008

Just an update on my "no oil pressure" problem.  I just received my new oil
pump and compared it too the old one which was not bringing up pressure.  I
found that the shaft on my old pump had been pushed down farther into the vane
which is attached to the shaft.  I could find no evidence of the vane being
pinned to the shaft.  I don't think it was pinned.  (background is that I had
changed the position of the distributor by pulling it and the skew gear out,
and then re-inserting them both without thinking that it wasn't locked in with
the oil pump shaft)  when i bolted the distributor down it apparently pushed
the oil pump shaft down into the vane.

I was surprised that the old pump
wasn't pinned.  I'm thinking maybe it was a cheap replacement?  Others might
want to check when you have your pan off to see if yours is pinned or not.
Now i can't wait to get on the road!!  We're having a glorious fall here in
iowa.

gary n.