[TR] horn hook-up, battery found

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Sep 16 05:47:47 MDT 2008

"dorpaul" <dorpaul at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Okay, I've got one horn partly hooked up.  Since I had my Nissan truck nearby
>I took the other horn over to it and touched it's poles.  Nada.  It did make
>the characteristic-needle-to-phonograph sound, but nothing near  a real sound.
>I turned the wiring around so that, this time, I held it to opposite battery
>post's.  This time, no kind of sound could be heard.  Question: why the
>difference?  If indeed it did make a difference, then maybe I'd be better off
>staying Positive ground?
>
>One answer, no doubt, will be the size of my 8" nissan battery.  BTW, I
>stopped by Autozone today and they have a $90 battery that's 13 3/4" wide, 7"
>deep with recessed poles, and is was group 49 and had a CCA of 850.  It maybe
>3/4" shorter than a group 24 or 27 battery but longer.  I'll go by Walmart
>tomorrow, but the Autozone battery will be hard to beat.
>
>Maybe It will make the horns blast!  I still can't remember if I've ever heard
>a TR3 horn?  I don't suppose that many CCA could damage a un-adjusted TR3
>horn-do you think?
>
>Thanks, Paul  60 Tr3A
>
>--
>I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for home users.
>SPAMfighter has removed 926 spam emails to date.
>Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
>Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

>This list supported in part by the Vintage Triumph Register
>http://www.vtr.org
>

>Triumphs at autox.team.net
>
>You are subscribed as dave1massey at cs.com
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Nah.  Even a 5 A-H Emergency light battery will sound the horn.  It draws no where near what the starter requires.  The horn is 50 years old.  It is going to have issues.  Mostly corrosion.  There is a screw that holds the domed cover on.  Remove that and the cover and you will see the inner workings.  Spray some contact cleaner on the inner workings and see if that helps.  Touch up the contacts with some fine sandpaper.  Try tweaking the adjustments (a little bit at a time, it doesn't take much).  Make sure the wiring is sound and the contacts are good.

It ain't the battery.

Dave