[TR] TR2 Generator/Electric Motor

David Gunn ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:25:59 MDT 2008

Hi All - Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.

I took the generator off, and took it in to the local LBC parts store.  It
tested fine.  I got a new belt, jacked up the engine, and installed it.
(Thinking about it, I don't know that I could have installed a new belt on the
side of the road.  I'll save the "rope" belt", or get a narrower emergency
belt, for the "on the side of the road" repairs.  I really don't want to carry
an extra jack.)   I polarized the generator, and it started right up, and
everything seemed to check out.  I took it for a short drive (about 30 miles),
and it seemed to charge just fine.  The amp gauge read normally, and the red
light did not come on.  I'll drive it to work a couple of times over the next
couple of weeks.  Hopefully all will be OK for the trip to Triumphest.

In asking the local LBC parts store about why this might have happened, the
response was "It's Lucas, what did you expect?  Something logical?  Maybe you
went through some type of electrical field?"

In examining the control box, when I disconnected the wire at the "F" contact
to repolarize, I notice that a bug had been "fried" between the "F" terminal
and the next one to the left.  That makes a lot more logical sense to me.

Maybe, because I had driven so many freeway miles, the battery had
over-charged, and that somehow reversed the direction of the current?  I'm
still grasping for some type of logical explanation.  I really don't want this
to happen again in the Sierra Nevada Mountains on the way to South Lake Tahoe
in a couple of weeks!!

Any suggestions?

If anyone wants to see pictures of my rope fan belt, they are posted at:
http://flickr.com/photos/dgunn/sets/72157602881332130/       They are at the
end of the set.

Thanks for all of your help.

David Gunn