[TR] Electric Fan Location

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 01:53:35 MDT 2008

Dan,

While you consider where to put your electric fan, you may want to
read through this study by some Sunbeam enthusiasts. Over three
summers they examined, measured, and repeated every aspect of their
cars' cooling system, trying many things and settling on the few that
they found actually made the difference. While their cars are slightly
different, I think the lessons may be transferable to a Triumph. They
reach a conclusion on electric fans, for example, that I would not
have anticipated: pushers are best! Fans with few big blades move most
air. Thin 'turbine' fans are to be avoided. The distance from the fan
to the shroud was optimised, as was the distance from fan blade to
shroud. The optimal measurements they report might help you.

http://www.teae.org/cooling/cooling_article.html

Cheers,

Brian
TR4 1963