[TR] Shims, part II

Tom Note tom628 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 13 19:15:57 MDT 2008

I recently mentioned here an embarrassingly loud brake squeal in our '76
TR6. I made up some shims out of 0.032" sheet steel I had saved from an old
CD player (pack rat syndrome).

I did not cut out the "D" section, and installed them behind the pads,
leaving the so-called anti-squeal gel  (or whatever) pad still on the back
of the brake pads.

Took it for a pretty good ride this AM , braking in all the ways which had
been causing the piglet noises, and could not get a trace of a squeal.

Couple of observations:   The stick-on anti-squeal pads, which had been
effective for about 20 miles, had an impression of the brake piston
essentially completely thru the pad so that the piston had been making
direct contact with the metal backing of the brake pad. I had used the
brakes fairly hard during the bedding in process for the new Porterfield
pads and Brembo rotors, but I had hoped the gel pads would not melt away
like that.
   Also, I'm still in the dark as to whether metal anti-squeal shims were
elimimated for '76. Ours did not have them. Anyone know?

Tom