[TR] tr3 engine timing

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 10 05:42:32 MDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 19:53:59 L1J1S at aol.com wrote:
> hello, what is the best way to time a tr3 & 4 engine? should one use a
> timing light or use a teSt light (static timing)? i know it has to be 3/8"
> before TDC. any suggestions welcomed.. LARRY SCHWARTZ

Larry,

My method is to set the crank at TDC using the indicator on the crank pulley
and then set the distributor so the points are just opening using a 12v light
bulb (one of those dash bulbs), By attaching a bulb to the points and then
ground you can then move the distributor back and forth until you get to the
approximation. I made a little harness with a spare bulb socket and wire
clips.

Once that is done, set the distributor advance to 4 degrees advanced and you
are at a good starting point.

Remember to tighten down the distributor and start the engine.

Now I adjust the timing by "ear" with the engine running by using the
micrometer adjustment on the distributor advance. When it sounds ok, I take
it for a spin to insure no knock and good power, acceleration.

This method has always worked for me and both the 3 and 4 run just great.

I think this method is described in the manual somewhere.

Bob