[TR] TR2 - Rope Fan Belt and Non-stopping Generator

David Gunn ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:31:30 MDT 2008

Thanks for all of the help.  I'll let everyone know what happens this weekend
when I get a chance to work on the car.

David Gunn> From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com> To: triumphs at autox.team.net> CC:
ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com> Subject: RE: [TR] TR2 - Rope Fan Belt and Non-stopping
Generator> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:12:35 -0700> > > > The odd thing was that
the generator was still spinning. It > > continued to spin until I
disconnected one of the wires. Can > > anyone explain why?> > That would
indicate that the cutout relay in the control box did not open as> it should.>
> > It seemed like > > it turned into an electric motor.> > Exactly right.
Electrically, they are the same thing. When the engine> turns the generator
faster than it wants to run, it generates power. But> with the engine not
turning it, the generator would act like a motor except> that normally, the
cutout disconnects it from the battery when the output> voltage drops below
the battery voltage.> > > Did I somehow reverse the polarity of the
generator?> > Possible, I guess. Couldn't hurt to try repolarizing it, but I
don't think> it will help. And of course it won't solve whatever is wrong with
the> control box.> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.> > The steps in
the attached booklet are reasonably straightforward, and should> quickly lead
you to the problem. Don't forget that there may be multiple> problems, so
perform all the tests before deciding which units to replace.> If you are
lucky, it's just the control box ... but unfortunately, driving> with the
control box on the fritz may have fried the generator as well.> > Randall