[TR] how they balance allow wheels

mark.jones at exxonmobil.com mark.jones at exxonmobil.com
Mon Sep 8 06:41:29 MDT 2008

Some of the rims on our lbcs are rim centric and some our hub centric.  I
wish there was a lug centric machine in my area because my MGB's rims are
lug centric and I have a sneaky suspicion that the Spitfire is as well.
The common hub centric machine isn't much use on a lug centric rim if the
centre hole is misaligned with the lugs.

Mark
1973 MGBGT
1980 Spitfire 1500

Subject: Re: [TR] how they balance allow wheels

>"new" balancer that actually mounts via the lug nut holes.

One of these machines is what start4ed my quest to cure run out last year.
I suppose they are great machines if everything about the wheel is bone
stock and clean.  Every time I has my wheels balanced this way the boys at
Costco
would tell me my wheels were bent.  My wheels were set to less than 0.020
run out on a lathe and they have never hit anything.  Turns out the powder
coating on was also in the lug holes and misaligned them on the machine. I
did go back to another place that has the center hole type machine.

Best regards,
Tom