[TR] tr3 question

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 7 13:27:08 MDT 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008 15:15:27 L1J1S at aol.com wrote:
> hey guys, talking to a buddy of mine who has a tr3-a. he just finished
> restoring his car, but has come across another chassis that he would like
> to switch out to put into his car. what would be entailed in doing so? i
> have  come up with disconnecting the brake/clutch lines, fuel line. harness
> into  engine compartment, speedo/tach cables, oil line to gauge. can anyone
> think of anything elas? also his body is beautiful, in attempting to remove
> the body from  the present chassis to fit onto the new chassis, do you
> think any structural damage will happen? also, what time frame is he
> looking at? larry  schwartz

Larry,

Add to your list, removing the engine / transmission which means removing the
front apron, radiator, exhaust headpipe,  bumpers and braces, etc. Removing
the steering column. Transmission cover, emergency brake.

Also as a precaution the body between the doors should be re-enforced before
the body is lifted off the frame.

Then you have to go and remove all the body - frame bolts which means removing
at least the seats and the carpets.

What is wrong with the current frame? Is it damaged, rusty?

This is not usually attempted with a finished body. This is a major project
and if the body is already completed the risk is large to some scratching or
worse dents.

I would look for another car to restore that needs a good frame or try to sell
the frame.

Bob