[TR] loss of power - follow up

Peter Arakelian peterara at msn.com
Sat Sep 6 19:00:44 MDT 2008

As you may recall, last weekend I posted a problem of loss of power at full
throttle.  The key element being that the problem would heal - correct itself
- and only occur every 3 months or so.
I received many suggestions, some of which I had to pass on because they would
not lend themselves to "healing."  I did get a suggestion from Fred Thomas,
thanx Fred, to check my floats for hanging up.  Evidently his Ford model A
club has had problems with current gas formulations.
Well, I pulled the carbs today.  The floats were not hanging up, but then the
car in in remission.  But when the float bowls dried, at the bottom was a
brown powderish coating, that was not visible when the bowls had fuel in them
or were still damp with fuel.  I cleaned it out with carb cleaner spray and
cleaned the float pivots in a similar fashion.  Maybe this "powder" was
building on the pivots and occasionally hanging them up?  then a vibration or
something freeing them.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted on future developments.

Peter Arakelian - 1971 TR6