[TR] GPS Navigator

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Sat Sep 6 11:36:31 MDT 2008

I've been reading this thread with great interest, because I am looking to
replace my current GPS.  It is a Garmin GPSMap 76c. which is handheld unit
that can be mounted in a vehicle.  I have had it for many years, after my
first GPS was stolen.  I use it in my truck, I use on my bicycle (there is a
handlebar mount) and I use it in my other job as captain of dinner cruise
boats.  It is a great unit, but the screen has never been bright enough to
read in bright sunlight and I found myself having to take my eye off the
road for extended periods of time in order to read it, which is not safe.
So, based on what i have read here, i just placed orders for two units, a
Garmin Nuvi 360 (for the Mrs.) and a Nuvi 370.  They both have text to
speech capability (that is they tell you street names, rather than just
saying "turn right in 500 ft" and they both have bluetooth connectivity so
that they can be used as a hands-free device while driving.  The 370 also
comes with European maps already installed, which is important to me because
I travel to the UK often.  At 10 GBP/day for "Neverlost" I will have paid
for the additonal cost of the 370 after three days of using the Nuvi in
England.

Both these units are discontinued by Garmin, which is why Amazon has them so
cheap ($224 for the 360 and $269 for the 370), but based on my years of
satisfaction with Garmin products, and based on some of the comments I read
here, I decided that i would buy them.

Mike