[TR] GPS Navigator

Nolan opposumking at verizon.net
Sat Sep 6 10:20:16 MDT 2008

I went with the delorme Earthmate PN-20.

I gave it a lot of thought.  I don't need, or even particularly want a unit
to route out a map for me.  I still like to do that myself.  Though I did
want it to be able to show me the direction or route to home at the end of
the day.  I very much did want a unit to be able to take notes of
interesting points as I travel.  I wanted it to show me more than just
roads, as I wanted to use it for hiking, hunting, trapping and other sundry
things.  Because I'd use it on the motorcycle and in the woods and swamps,
it had to be waterproof.

That left me with basically the Garmin 60 series and the Earthmate PN-20.
The PN-20 has much better mapping software.  It's the best in the business.
Speed is it's downfall.  The PN-20 is no speed demon, especially at routing
and redrawing topo maps or aerial photographs.  Though the upcoming PN-40
seems to be fine.

So far, it's worked as I've wanted it to.  I can tell it to give me an arrow
pointing home, and it does.  Both on the map and on the compass.  I push the
button, and it marks wherever I am as a waypoint, and lets me write whatever
I want as a description, and I get to chose one of many pretty icons.