[TR] GPS NAvigator

Oliver sumton at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 22:59:40 MDT 2008

i've used both.  the laptop unit is great for planning rallies, routes, that
kind of thing.  if you really want to get deep into it, its great.  if you
just want to get there, its waaaaaaaay too much effort.  plug the gps in,
tell it where you want to go, and follow directions.  slam dunk.

now, for your entertainment, something I wrote not too long ago:

There was a time when you carried a dime in your pocket in case you needed
to call home.  One time I thought I would save my dime and called home
collect.  Never did that again!  Now we find that we don't know any one's
phone numbers because they are in speed dial.  I even have Chili's and Pizza
Hut on speed dial!

Although I feel I'm a late comer to the game of GPS units, I look around and
see that in fact I'm not.  Recently I started using my laptop and a USB
satellite receiver and became totally hooked.  But - I feel inadequate
because I could not get a blue tooth unit to work with my laptop or my cell
phone.  So now I'm ordering a windshield mount unit which will be great fun
on those LBC trips.

But I'm worried about the future!  Of course both my kids have cell phones
(they all do!), and they don't know any numbers either.  And I know there
are grandparents who totally bore the young ones with stories about life
without cell phones, pagers (what's that?), pay phones (seen one lately??),
and actually having to learn phone numbers.  So what's in store now?  Soon
no one will know how to get anywhere.  Giving directions will be a lost art.

You climb into the car with your grandkids; they look around and say "where's
the gps?"  You say "I don't have one."  They reply: "You actually know how
to get there? "