[TR] Gear Shift Knob/Overdrive switch

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 18:54:19 MDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/2008 5:47:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wquincy at cox.net writes:

Greetings listers,

I'm thinking about moving my overdrive switch  to the gear shift knob.
Seems like a good Idea to me. What has the list  done is this regard.
There's a Jags shift knob with a button on top, Im  sure the TPI is
all wrong
but it may be useable?

Bill  Quincy
Wichita, Ks.
TR3A  TS69623L

Bill,
Mine is that way and I really like it. The TR books I have read have said
that is the original planned location (reason the early gearshift handlles are
hollow). I tend to drive with my hand on the lever anyway, so its lightning
fast  in the mountains where I am to flick it from 2nd OD to 2nd gear. Otherson
thislisthave said they can shift faster with the original switch location on
the  dash, although I do see the rally cars had gearshift mounted switches.

I bought a new Stag gearshift knob complete w/switch and a lever from one  of
the numerous Stag parts suppliers in the UK. It fits perfectly. My wife was
bothered by the bend in the Stag lever and thought it didn't look original,
so I cut it and welded it onto an old TR3 lever I had.

Best, Mike Moore

deal here.