[TR] loss of power

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 07:44:14 MDT 2008

Peter,

Intermittent problems are the worst to solve but it sounds like you've
covered the basics for fuel delivery which is a good start.  Unless you've
actually checked the carb diaphragms for cracks or splits I wouldn't assume that
they're okay.  I also like the idea of a "lagging rotor" which someone else
mentioned.  There should be no play when you turn the rotor by hand.   Worn rotors
(on the distrib shaft) can cause a symptom like you've got because  the rotor
is not responding to a requested increase from the throttle when you  go to
full throttle.  I think the rotor may be in-time during partial  throttle
(cruising) but when you go to full throttle and the  distributor wants to advance
the spark, the rotor can't keep  up with the distrib shaft speed so it lags
behind and tends to keep  the timing retarded just when you need advanced timing
to match  the increased fuel delivery for more power.

Swap the rotor for a good one but if you have a timing light, it would be
interesting to observe what the timing does when you quickly increase throttle
at idle.  If your distrib is working okay and the rotor is okay, the timing
should increase when you blip the throttle.

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U

In a message dated 9/1/2008 5:48:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,