[TR] Fan belt tension - Have reviewed previous postings

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Wed Oct 29 08:21:33 MST 2008

Randall,

As you always do, good points.

Have a new adjustment bracket for the alternator that is twice as think
as the current one.  Will be installing it.

I am not applying that much force, so I am too loose.  Will correct
that.

The alternator is producing the correct output, but several British car
shops have stated that it must have a dead spot or some internal issue
because it does on occasion, not read correctly.

The fan belt was replaced last year, and it is the correct one.  No
problem there, however, I will take a look at how it sits in the pully
and check for a glazed belt.

Thanks for your input............Craig

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Randall wrote:

>> I do notice
> that the pulleys do not seem to line up as well as they did before,
> and I see that this has been discussed on the list.B

Guess I missed that one.B  The pulleys need to line up, or you will have
problems with rapid belt wear.

> The book states 3/4-1", which is where I am now.

But what the book leaves out is how much force you apply when checking
the
tension.B  What I use is more like 1/2" - 3/4" deflection, when applying
as
much force as I reasonably can with a single thumb.

> had it tested and it is putting out 14 volts and 30 amps.

So in other words, it was working fine ?

> Currently with 3/4-1" play, I can indeed move the fan with one finger.

While 1" of play (with moderate finger pressure) does seem awfully
loose, I
don't believe you should be able to turn the alternator fan that
easily.B  I
would get a new belt (the old one may be glazed or hard), and carefully
clean the pulley to ensure it has not had a lubricant spilled on it.B  If
the
surfaces where the belt rides look shiny (like a mirror), they could
even be
roughened up a bit with fine emery cloth.

Also inspect carefully to ensure that the belt is not touching the
bottom of
any of the pulley grooves.B  There were two different widths of belt used
on
various years of the TR6, and it's easy to get components mixed up.

Randall
http://www.vtr.org <http://www.vtr.org> B  <http://www.vtr.org>

Triumphs at autox.team.net <mailto:Triumphs at autox.team.net> B
<mailto:Triumphs at autox.team.net>